Saturday, May 9, 2015

Review - 'Against the Edge' by Kat Martin

Against the Edge (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #8)

This is the first book I’ve read from Kat Martin and I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Raines of Wind Canyon series. This particular book, however, didn’t live up to the series hype in my opinion. While it was a good story with a good plot idea, I think this novel would’ve been better as a novella since it dragged on for me.

**************** SPOILERS ***********************

The first half of the story was repetitive. The main characters, Ben and Claire, are working together to find Ben’s missing son, Sam, and though they’re attracted to each other, they keep saying they shouldn’t sleep together because it could affect their work relationship and they might not find Sam if they’re fighting/distracted by one another. Again and again with this, and then—not to my surprise—they sleep together and everything between them is fine. Well, of course, everything’s fine. This is a romance book. Anyway, Ben and Claire travel all over the American South and Southwest, talking to people and eventually finding the boy. But that’s not the end. Nope, there’s a drug subplot with Claire’s pushy ex-boyfriend. Claire doesn’t want him back but she keeps giving him mixed signals and it drove me crazy.
I understood Ben’s macho persona and why he carries on with women and refuses to love. It’s the typical plot – the woman he loved betrayed him years ago and he can’t move on and love again. Don’t get me wrong, I like this kind of plot and it worked for the story, and he gave Claire a chance but then he kept back-peddling and pushing her away. I wanted so badly to reach into the book and slap him, yet Claire wouldn’t leave. I just didn’t think Claire was a strong female character as Ben (the author) kept telling the reader. She stayed under the pretense of caring for Sam, which I understand since she loves the child, but the romance of the book just didn’t seem real to me. Yet it was enough to make Claire move away from LA (where she lived) to Houston (where he lived) without talking to Ben about what she wanted and needed from him. As of that moment when she moved, they were just having a fling, there was not commitment and nothing serious between them yet she just moves to be closer to him and Sam.
I enjoyed meeting the secondary characters that are from the previous books in this series. I’m interested to learn more about them but only if I can find more of the Raines of Wind Canyon books at the library (which is where I got this one).
For a Harlequin book, I was surprised by the typos. Besides a few obvious misspellings, there were three instances when the wrong name was used in the sentence. That’s distracting and shows poor editing.
All in all, I liked the story but it had potential to be a lot better.
3 Stars.

Disclaimer – I found this book at the library. I am a reader. I am not paid or compensated in any way, shape or form for this honest review. I will not change or alter this review for any reason.

View all my reviews